Imagine, if you will, a very enthusiastic Casey (about 8 weeks ago) saying “Oooh and I can build some bookcase doors with cane webbing for the office – that would be amazing”.
And then imagine that same naive Casey also thinking to herself “Chris’ office will be such an easy One Room Challenge project – just some paint, styling and the new bookcase doors – pppfff you’ve totally got this”.
Friends, I do not have this.
I mean, I’m going to have it – these bookcase doors are going to be built (and we’re going to like them goddamnit)…but so far they have been one of those DIY projects where everything has gone wrong.
Every. Single. Thing.
First, I could not for the life of me find cane webbing for a reasonable price. A lot of places were completely closed when I started this project because of COVID and the best I could find was $100 for the webbing and $100 for delivery. Um…no thank you. So that plan was scrapped and an alternative found (grasscloth wallpaper).
Then, I built the doors out of MDF, got them all painted and…they looked awful. I was trying to be cheap and friends, they looked cheap.
Back to the drawing board – new doors were built out of wood – properly this time in shaker style with an outer frame which has been routered at the back to install a flat panel with the grasscloth.
I was so sure that I was going to be able to get these all finished up and posted this week but, alas, I do not have the right staples to attach the door panels and my local hardware stores are all sold out. They have been ordered online and will hopefully arrive next week.
But in the meantime, the wallpapered panels have started to warp and I’m not even sure if I can install them anymore (I might have to make them again about of MDF).
Yup, that’s what’s been happening on the office makeover front. Super exciting, I know. I did find this plant though: